Advocacy is support for or opposition to legislation or policies at the local, state or national level. The League may only advocate for or against issues on which the League has taken an applicable position or principle.
We have two overall approaches to advocacy.
Programs for information/education for our members.
Our LWV SRQ Events Committee works diligently to develop the program schedule. We traditionally have two meetings monthly – Food For Thought (1st Friday monthly) and Hot Topics (4th Monday monthly). Members are welcome to make attainable meeting topic/speaker suggestions. Topics are related to League positions, and particularly to our region.
through paid Lobbyists and LWV FL Lobby Corps. For 2022, the 29 Florida chapters and State Committee Chairs reached consensus of focusing on six areas. These Legislative Priorities are:
• Voting & Election Laws • Redistricting • Reproductive Health & Justice
• Education • Environment & Natural Resources • Health Care
The Sarasota League has active committees on four of these issues. Members are not restricted to these topics to pursue their interests. They may join other committees on the state level. Learn more at https://www.lwvfl.org/issues/.
How are legislative priorities set? The goals are based on:
- Opportunities to make an impact
- Member interest and commitment
- Current political climate
- Resources available to manage efforts effectively
- Priorities from 29 local Leagues and State Committee Chairs